Snow

This is a novel that wasted none of my time from start to end. I enjoyed this book a lot, perhaps an unhealthy amount.

Malfi wrote this novel with the reader in mind. He used every inch of paper to make sure something was going on as we learned the details, rather than more information, action, more details, some other stuff, and repeat. It starts in a tense scene where Todd is already on the wrong side of time, placing bets with the typical airport annoyance who knows it all. When his flight is canceled, he is left in a tough situation, wait or accept the postal on the luggage he may never get back and face the road ahead covered in snow. Assuming you read it, so you know what he picks, if not, refer to the title of the book.

The readers are then taken into the last four-wheel drive available with Kate, Fred, Nan, and, of course, Todd. They run into an estranged hitchhiker that was looking for his kid. He acts very strangely, and they find his truck has been abandon for more than the time he claims. A little further down, we are introduced to the first glimpse of the monsters we will be dealing with in this story. The group encounters the daughter without a face. Let me say, I thought it was smart of Malfi to make it so the creatures could not take over children properly. (At this point in my life, I am tired of killer children. I want the children to be killed.) And just like that, Malfi spares no space when it comes to the detail of the possessed, cannibalistic zombies the monsters use their "skin-suits" for. From Nan being dragged to Shawnda being eaten alive, much of the gore is left to the imagination.

I could also feel the isolation of the characters, even if I have never experienced their situations. Kate with an estranged fiance, Todd with a controlling ex-wife, Molly losing the only decent man in her life and falling off her rocker, all except the kids. The siblings in the church, to Charlie and Cody, I am glad they all became faceless suits for the creatures. Children are the most annoying things, in my opinion. Unless they are Lizzie Borden-ing, they lack any entertainment for me. Malfi feed me well by making sure all the little runts became coats (except Justin, he was too minor of a character in the plot, not motivation but plot, to become an annoyance to me).

Everyone's favorite part, my take on the ending. I have a notorious string of hating almost every end I read. Spoiler: the two main characters don't die, and I am okay with that. I fell in love with Kate. Todd used his brain for the majority of the novel. They were both written exceptionally well, easy to follow, reliable, and relatable. I was happy to see them live but sad to see them continue their personal isolations, Kate with Gerald and Todd with Bree. Another portion of the ending that was satisfying is that these people were believed. This happened in the majority of isolated towns. The conclusion was closure. Them not being believed, that would have really pissed me off, and that is how most of these types of works end. Malfi wasted no time on the pages, everything was written in action, and the reader learned through the tension. He created great characters (brownie points for making the children possessed faceless), a terrifying idea (I mean Jesus, a snowstorm full of weird creatures), and left no left-out feelings on imagery, even when somethings were meant to be left to the imagination. The narration is loose. The readers get to see a lot. We see burnt bodies, weird orb light things, swirling snow, buildings, broken windows, bodies with heads blown off. We can also smell burnt flesh, dead bodies trying to rot in the cold, candles, and blood. Not only are we not wasting time with the words, what the words display also do not lack in-depth.

My final comment: Tracey had your dumb ass just remembered, so many people would still be alive.

Comments

  1. I thought he handled the monster children well with no faces too. But I would have liked to have seen some purpose to them in the first place. If the creatures couldn't take over them completely, then why did they keep taking them over? What was their purpose? That was the only thing that bothered me because it seems to me the creatures would have stopped wasting time with them. Or, they did have a purpose. And if they did, I would have liked to have known something about what that purpose was. I don't need a full reveal. I like that a lot of the monster remained mystery. But because the children seemed useless, it just didn't make sense that they would still take them over. That, to me, becomes a little bit of a logic problem with the story.

    Interesting that you liked the ending, and that Kate and Todd survived. When I got to the end, I was thinking, "Alexis is gonna hate this!" haha. Glad you appreciated it though. I thought it was well done.

    I didn't the epilogue though. I don't think we needed that. I felt it was cheesy... like how Freddie Kruger always gets beaten, then just comes back. If he wants to write a sequel, he can just write the sequel. The epilogue, to me, just didn't cut it. Oh, ok. The monsters are not all dead. They are now living among us. The novel is just over. Great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha! Yes, I actually enjoyed this one a bit when I read it. Not sure if I will reread for leisure though. For once, I felt like an ending did not let me down even with my morbidity being stuck sulking in the corner.

      If I remember right, the creatures used children as a last resort. They needed bodies for defense mostly since heat was a big issue with them. I think the dead bodies gave them a little more freedom and tolerance. I did not get the chance to reread this one before this week due to thesis proposal so I cannot say for sure that was why, but I feel like I remember that.

      Personally, I am not a fan of prologues or epilogues, but I enjoyed this one for some reason. I think my misanthropy finds pleasure in knowing someone fucked up.

      Delete
  2. I actually quite liked the children aspect of this book. Not because of the children being possessed or faceless, because that is a common trope, but the idea that for some reason (maybe underdeveloped) they snow couldn't possess the kids. I like weird exceptions or limitations.

    I think this was one of the most descriptive books we've read so far, and I think that's why we all liked it so much. It tells us all the gruesome details, but no detail is unimportant, all the words space they take up is worth it. Though I personally found the initial bar scene boring.

    I was glad that Todd and Kate made it out. I actually didn't want them to die in the end, and would've felt a little bad disappointed if they did. However, I really wish Molly had died. I wished something weird had happened with the snow and her baby maybe, but her going crazy but surviving didn't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all wish, deep down, that Molly got it LOL

      Delete
  3. In reading the other comments, I think the kids are actually something entirely different. Like they're the host for the main entity. It seems like the skin-suits gravitate to the children, and respond or talk to them like they're the superpower. See, I feel there needed to be a little more clarification about the monster mainly because I personally like to know a defined purpose. This story was definitely not about the monster though, it was about the action and the way the attack was handled. So, in the end I can see why the monster isn't defined anymore than what the characters have seen so far, so it adds suspense to where we're left after reading the last page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I am just so tired of killer kids or kids being the focus of horror. I want them to die the majority of the time. Opp, I typed that :P

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts