Godzilla (2014)

I have not seen a Godzilla film since the one in '99. I'm always interested but never capitalize on the interest. I thought this movie was pretty cool.

The intro, ending of the opening credits, gave me major Pearl Harbor vibes. I feel like we always see scenes like this in war films. So, in a sense, it sets up the plot fairly well. We fast forward to a cave-in at a facility where 40 minors went down with it. I got significant slave-labor vibes here. It didn't feel right or appeal well to my sensitive side.

When we finally see the fossil, it is enormous. I mean, excuse my French, it is a big ass fossil. I was confused when one of the researchers in the cave asked, "Is it him?" Who the heck are you talking about? There wasn't enough build-up for this scene to give me any suspense, I just got annoyed because I felt like I was left out of the loop. However, the eggs, both the one broken out of and the one preserved, were very nicely done in terms of suspense and imagery. I did not remember anything for '99, so I was wondering what it was since I knew our main lady stays in the depths of the ocean. Now, when it flashed to the path that leads from the site to the sea, I got confused. Does whatever this is live in the depths too?

I liked Joe. I was very hurt by his death in the helicopter. I also felt a lot of emotion when he watched his wife die because she didn't make it back in time. I have a very huge spot in my heart for people who lose their partners. I can't imagine it. I don't want to. You all are such strong creatures to live daily after it. He knew what was going on, and I felt very inside when he was explaining how the tremors were too patterned to be earthquakes. I love it when works make me feel in them and give me information like this. The breach did confuse me. It was obviously a monster of some sort, but one egg was birthed, and the other we see later on in the film. Did I miss something? What caused the destruction of the facility? Three monsters total, on in the casing, the other in NV, and the leading lady in the ocean.
Did Zilla decide to say, "F this facility?" But then we see that the bug monsters are more electrically focused compared to her. So, I have no idea. I just know that something said, "Fuck your towers, bro." (I am the most unprofessional reviewer in existence, I am so sorry, Scott. Vulgar language is second nature to me. I know it is terrible.) The kid watching his parent's facility just get wrecked was pretty devastating. My dad worked at a grocery store across from the Pentagon when 9/11 happened. I related to the sense of did my parents make it from that experience.

Jump forward fifteen years, he is now in the military, gets home from deployment only to have to leave to bail his dad out of jail in Japan. Joe has thins nickname, "The Last Truth-Seeker." Considering her experienced the event, and his education level, I never doubted the man when he proclaimed it wasn't some natural disaster. I really liked him as a character because he made me feel like I knew what was happening and not in the dark. We love that insider feeling. The two go back to the quarantined area only to end up being arrested. However, Joe confirms his suspicion that it is a cover-up due to the radiation level not being lethal, or even existing for that matter. Plus helicopters and the old facility plant confirmed the cord of that something is obviously going on.

At the plant, Joe basically warns the Dr. and predicts it all as the same event happens again. Of course, they all want to run and shut down when it is too late, would it be a monster film of they were on time? No. I was confused that they intended to kill it with jolts considering the damn thing has fed off that for its entire nourishment. This seemed moronic. Your back-up plan to kill something that feeds off electricity/nuclear stuff is to attempt to over-dose it? When they send the fire department to the plant, all I could say was, "Oh, thank god, the fire department is here to stop it." What the hell were they going to do? Spray it with water? LOL. However, the beginning credits start to link the movie together when we figure out the bomb tests weren't tests but attacks on some god-like pre-historic creature called Gorjia. He was a boss. I did wonder if the bug monsters were a different evolution of the god-like creature at this point.

The bug type monsters gave me spider vibes. They are like a cross between spiders, mosquitoes, and a common finch. The larger one, the female, her egg sake was absolutely disgusting looking. They are no short of badass either. They can knock out power with a little stomp, which is clearly more than enough to cause humanity some issues. But, then our lead monster has clearly had enough of their shit because she creates a tsunami on her way to handle our light-work. I will say, the feeble-minded idea to hunt the Muto was expected and also sighed at while in progress. I thought the female Muto was the one with wings for the majority because most creature films tend to highlight the strength of female animals, especially alien and reptilian-like species. It was a twist that I am not sure how I feel that the female Muto was the one that lacked wings, even though she was exponentially more massive than the male. Godzilla was very well designed and graphically done. I did get confused if there were two of her from the scene where she tail-slaps the male into the building, and then it collapses on her, to then she is attacking the female after the nuke. She ends up under that same building again when they are rescuing people trapped under the rubble. I am a little confused about the series of events. She rips the female's head off and walks back into the city, then is found in the same place under the building disaster as she was before killing the female Muto. The male Muto made me think of some genetically modified vampire creature - I know I am more than likely alone here but had to also add that in.

I felt pretty sad for the Muto when she realized her babies were crispy bacon balls. Animal cries really tug my sensitive side. The plot progression and clean up reminded me a bit of the early part of the novel Big Meat by Mellick III. Basically, a monster terrorizes the world, and no one knows where it is going to attack next. It can't be easily harmed due to its hide. But when it is taken down, it's just a giant stinking mass in a city where employment becomes working on crews dissecting and removing different parts of the monster.

Overall, I enjoyed this movie, even despite some of the things that confused me or felt covered. I refer to Godzilla as a female because I remember she was in the originals. Most of the information dumped in this film makes the viewer assume the reptile is male.


Comments

  1. I was really upset about Joe and his wife's deaths. Joe was by far my favorite character in the movie because he was crazy and interesting. I thought his son was going to die when the MUTO escaped, and was disappointed when the opposite happened.

    I was also confused why they were zapping a monster that uses EMPs and feeds off radiation/electricity with said electricity.

    I assumed the MUTOs were some version of butterflies because they were parasites and the program was called monarch. I like your idea that they were mosquitoes. They did super well with making their mouths look like beetle jaws that could crush you, and her glowing egg sack was absolutely disgusting in the best way possible. They looked like little firecracker bombs that Boom Boom from X-Men uses.

    I'm surprised I didn't consider the fact that Godzilla might be a female. Is she that in all the movies? Is there ever the mention of a male?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a female in one of the 90's ones, so now I am confused with this one LOL

      Delete
    2. Godzilla is male. The version you saw in the 90's with Matthew Broderick revealed that Godzilla reproduced asexually, thus he laid eggs. Godzilla is usually referred to with the pronoun "it," but when he is assigned a gender pronoun, it is always "he." He is also known as the "King of the Monsters." I think the Japanese versions always they to keep him gender neutral, but the American versions make him male.

      Delete
    3. AH! Very helpful to know Shoe. Darn my child feminism hopes :P

      Delete
  2. I like when they make females big like this one. I think the little information they give on them lets the viewer know the male has to go out and supposedly travel long distances to find food for its mate. It relates them more to bugs for sure, whereas the dragon in Reign of Fire (first example I can think of) has the male fertilize the female eggs basically like a fish so he is 10 times the size of the female dragons. And he eats them when he's hungry kind of like female critters do when they're the bigger one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts