The Exorcist by Blatty

When you think of The Exorcist, you more than likely think of the 1973 film that took the world by storm. Whether it be the rumors of the film being cursed or the various audience members who fainted at showings from the horror in theaters, you've heard of this story. If you haven't? You may live under a log. Fun fact about the film version, similarly to Silence of the Lambs, well-known actors turned down roles to play in this film. Anyway, we aren't going to dive into all the creepy things surrounding the film and production. We are here for the 1971 novel. 


As you may well know, or have read in my post on The Exorcism of Emily Rose, this story was heavily inspired by Ronald Doe's case. For the sake of not repeating myself, read that if you are curious, or Google it. Whatever tickles your fancy. This book is an iconic novel of horror. Does it have the happiest of endings? Not if you're a fan of the Jesuit Karras. However, it is instead in line with the real account it is based on. In the novel, it seems several rituals are performed on Ragen, and when she was "saved," she remembered nothing. Ronald Doe's (Robbie Mannheim) case related around forty rituals performed for multiple demonic entities, and he too had no remembrance of the possession. However, Merrin and Karras do skip The Litany of Saints openly in the novel. But, overall, there are a lot of external investigations about Robbie's case. So, let's not get too far into comparing Regan and him.


Regan's possessed self was so enjoyable to read. The demon was so vile. My twisted self wished there was more. The heaviest part of the novel isn't until the end. We spend most of the time following Chris, her servants, and Sharon as they also watch Regan transform into a human suit for the entity. For the record, this was very wise. Blatty clearly did his research on exorcisms and the Catholic Church before writing this. They ultimately often assume mental illness and need solid proof. Though the build-up to this allowance was significant, I felt the actual, "Go ahead with the exorcism," was cut horribly short. Karras presents so many conflicting facts that would ultimately not present enough or strong enough evidence to the bishop for a grant to perform the ritual. Then boom, it is just okayed shortly after we have sat and read through all the conflicting moments of Karras and rationality.


While we get a connection to this demonic force, in the beginning, it is still hard to nail how it ended up in Regan. Yes, she had an Ouija Board she played with like a barbie doll. But, how and why did this specific entity reach her and seek her out? After all, it was across the world in Iraq in the prologue and later alluded to have been in Africa. It seems strange it just jumped sea (literally) for a random twelve-year-old playing with a board. You would think another demonic entity would beat it to her. Though I cannot say for sure as I am not a demon (maybe), and I'm not too sure how their otherworld travels work. 


We go through many medical diagnoses and "I don't know's" in this novel, which is excellent for a possession story. I forgot how buried the crucifix scene was in my mind until I reread it for the first time in almost seven years. As an adult, it hit me much differently. Again, the demon was absolutely vile; I loved it. One of my favorite quotes, "Ah, yes! The holy urine now!" the demonic voice rasped. "The semen of the saints!" (Blatty 334). This line cracked me up. My most formal apologies for the Catholics who find this blasphemous. 


Pazuzu carried well in the novel, though I believe his presence is more prevalent in the film version. I still am on the fence of rewatching it as I was almost a spitting image of Linda Blair. My parents couldn't locate any pictures of me at fourteen, but I added two younger pictures of me compared to some of Linda from the film. My parents, sister, grandfather, I, and most people I mention this to see it. My grandmother does not. I don't know. You tell me what you think. Maybe it's just the idea I had a young and bendable mind when my parents told me that I see it and am slightly put off to watching her get taken over again LOL.






Comments

  1. I wish we got more of the 'go ahead with the exorcism' as well given how in depth the mental illness questioning was. This was an excellent showing of mental illness vs the paranormal though. The back and forth and unknowns were handled so well by the mother; she was so believable to how someone would actually react.

    I haven't seen the movie, so I would be interested to see that version that focuses more on Pazuzu. Though him jumping locations to get to Regan did throw me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so I ask, is the movie worth watching? You had good advice on PA, so what about The Exorcism?

      Delete
  2. Completely agree that the Church's agreement to proceed with the exorcism was too sudden and abrupt.

    As far as Pazuzu going out of his way, geographically speaking, to possess Regan. I think demons would probably operate outside of time and space, and there would be no "here or there" for them.

    Thanks for telling us about the Ronald Doe case. I'd like to read more about it, if I can stand it--demonic stuff really scares me! Probably why I always tell myself that they don't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also noticed the abrupt switch from questioning (by Karras) to approval (by the Catholic church). Yes, it was anticlimactic. However, I kind of thought it worked in the novel and let me explain why.

    We know Karras has lost his faith. And he is a psychiatrist on top of being a Jesuit. So he is going to be 1000 times harder to convince ... all his protests about how hard it will be to get approval from the church are really just defensive mechanisms for how hard it will be to convince HIM - Karras.

    I know! I'm going out on a limb here and injecting subtext. We all know how hard it really and truly is to get an actual exorcism approved by the modern Catholic church. That's reality. But I'm not certain Blatty &/or most of his readers understood exactly how resistant the church can be toward exorcism. He saw the Jesuits as heroes and father figures. They are his Indiana Jones. I think he used the real criteria but also stretched and strained it to the point where the reader is like, "Come on, man! Are you kidding me?"

    And then the archbishop says, "Yeah. Go ahead. And here's our top exorcist."

    BOOM! And right away my thought was that Karras overthought everything. And maybe, just maybe, he prolonged this innocent family's suffering by questioning and questioning and questioning. Maybe he should have requested approval earlier and then responded to any questions or pushback in real time instead of anticipating it. Do you see what I'm saying?

    First and foremost, this is a fiction novel. I know you and many others greatly outnumbering me say this novel is "based on" the real exorcism of Ronald Doe. My research has led me to believe this novel in merely "inspired by" hearing about a true story that is referred to as Ronald Doe. I found an online article that stated Blatty started out wanting to write a true story about the case. However, the Catholic church promised the family anonymity so ... Blatty went fictional with just a taste of reality. And he is writing a horror novel that is also a hero's journey toward belief.

    I'll also say that I believe that Blatty gave us a "happy" horror ending. Karras finding his faith and sacrificing everything. Wow! And remember Jesuits celebrate death.

    Lastly - yes, you do look like Linda Blair. My freshman year of college I was friends with a girl who looked so much like Linda Blair at 18-yrs-old that it messed with her dating life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts