Helter Skelter

So, ironically, I am one of those individuals who are not obsessed with serial killers. Now, I have heard of Charles Manson and know the basics of him/his crimes. Who doesn't? However, after reading this true crime, the comment I have is directly a quotation from my father, "The man was a nut." Is my dad going to be a reoccurring trend? Probably no longer after this one. My dad hates anything associated with horror outside of The Silence of the Lambs film. He is not too avid of a fan that Horror is my chosen genre, though he does think it is a perfect fit for me. My dad more than likely thinks I am a psychopath beyond what he shares. LOL.

Again, to be clear, I am not one obsessive in serial killers. I can name off the basics of notorious killers but nothing too in-depth if I am honest. I also must say, this may be the longest I have ever taken to read a novel. The time spanning from February 19th to 28th. The novel bored me that I often put it down. I was hardly interested until about page 400 when the actual trial started. Courtroom proceedings fascinate me. This whole story was out of control. Sadie coughed up everything to her cellmates within days of lockup, then reversed on the prosecution once she made contact with Manson. I had the Kindle version, meaning any photos in the print version were removed due to permission and copyright. I found myself using Google often to put faces and images of things.

What I want to focus on is how much control Manson had. If you haven't read the book and learned the ins and outs of everything that happened, read it. I am not going to sit here and summarize all the insane processes and events from this long work. Even while incarcerated, the Family, on the outside, were still out of control. From protesting to more murder. Manson was someone no one wanted to cross, not even the attornies for the defendants. Hughes disagreed, went missing, and was later found dead. Sidenote: Manson was kind decent looking in his prime.

He targeted young, vulnerable, and mislead girls. He used these girls to get male followers. Manson left the girls thinking they were in some form of control, maybe feeling as though they were adults and free thinkers. However, that takes serious manipulation. The men did not want to give up the drugs and willing sex participants. Manson was no more than a master manipulator that you did not want to be an outsider to. Regardless of his very clear racism, he had so many issues but not much of a violent history. Sure, he had a novel-length worth of felonies (non-violent), but only two (or three) violent crimes from his past. So, what made him who he was? We heard a lot about how he framed his childhood and a lot of facts about it. He spent 17 years of his life in institutions. I think that is damming enough, bouncing from one institution for boys to another constantly. He never had control or a "family." Even if his mother came forth to say he was "pampered and loved by all women around him in his childhood," he spent years in and out of the institutions.

Most of the book is matter of fact. This happened, this is the past, and this is what we are currently up against. But, the boldness of Manson to attempt to murder the judge on the case in front of the jury and still believe the Prosecution had not proved beyond a reasonable doubt, amazing. Granted, the defense lacked much effort, either by intention or poor preparation. Manson never lost his ego. Now, that is absolutely chilling. Many of his "minions," as I call them, tried to turn the case around during the sentencing portion which amazed me. The defense continued to botch much of their own case, again either intentional or poor preparation. Again, I am not going to summarize it.

Manson was a fucking looney toon, a nut. Obviously, I knew he wouldn't get off. It is a matter of history, not to mention the longest trial on American records. However, I still find it intriguing the state was able to get a guilty verdict for all four defendants amongst the chaos that existed the entire trial. I know things do catch up to people. Manson's ability to manipulate people, make them think he was Jesus Christ, amazed me. A lot of Manson just amazed me. Not to mention his influence even when he was locked up. He had this ability to speak and make people believe him, even if it sounded entirely insane and batshit.

Doing further research, Atkins died of brain cancer in 2009. We know Manson succumbed to illness in 2017. Krenwrinkle has been denied parole multiple times had since made claims that Manson abused her before the murders happened. Van Houten has gone up and been denied parole for nineteen times. Van Houten sticks out to me because she was rejected due to blaming Manson for her actions. She apparently had another possibility for parole in January of this year. Fromme, who attempted to assassinate the president (Ford) in 1975, is currently alive and free (since 2009). Beausoleil is serving life and makes art. Clem was paroled in 1985 and remains alive and free. Tex is serving life but has earned a business degree in prison. He has been denied parole seventeen times.

Comments

Popular Posts