Silence of The Lambs (1991)

Well, I will say this one personally lived up to the hype my dad made of it. Yes, I actually loved this movie. Of course, I have my nitpicks, but I enjoyed it.

I guess, let's start with the fact we followed the FBI student, Clarice, through it. She was eh for me. Scott Glenn is his prime was nice. LOL. Anyway, Lecter in this was good. I love how well he is portrayed, considering his buildup in Red Dragon. I think the film stayed loyal to it, even though they kinda fuck the novel series for the order. I can say I was not expecting him to get free here. The foreshadowing with the pen did give it away, but the thought was not on my radar at the start. I also cackled at the end when he said he was having an old friend for dinner. As cheesy as it may come off to most, in the spirit of cannibalism, I thought it was great.

Clarice doesn't listen well. From the get, she breaks the rule of being to close to the glass. That really irked me. However, she did get the big win at the end when Crawford left her in the dark on the FBI move. That satisfied me. Ironic how cocky Dr. Chilton is the one to give Hannibal the way out. You know what they say about egos. Irony.

The movie had a lot of decently done police work. As far as tracking leads and misleading and follow-up go, that is. I found it very difficult to believe the transfer of a criminal such as Lecter being a thing, but when high profile families are involved, it does not surprise me. Normally, though, top profile killers or criminals are moved to a more secure facility as compared to getting deals. Regardless, I am sure it has happened before in cases such as a person's in power family become a victim, and a criminal incarcerated knows something.

As always, Lecter is not our psycho in question here. While he is a damn good psychopath, he is merely a supporting character. I can't help but want his story though. I want to follow his reign of terror. I want the story of him and his victims, his history, more of Will Graham. Beside the point, our real killer is Buffalo Bill, and my, oh my, does she have a dangerously strange track record.

It is unclear as to how he is profiled by the FBI and Lecter. They both believe he is a man unhappy with himself, which is not untrue. They label as someone who thinks they are transgender but really has some other rooted issues instead. Sure, could be the case, but the transgender part is not a lie or a "thought." However, the unfortunate term "transvestite" did make its way in this film. Granted the time and decade of this film, I am not surprised. Really, Buffalo Bill, John Grant, James Whoever was a transgender person denied the right to a sex reassignment surgery. I can only imagine the frustration of feeling as though you were not born physically who you are meant to be, then to be denied the option to change. Needless to say, I can understand the frustration. I also thought the idea of coveting was a great thing spun in. Because at the end of the day, she coveted the first victim and spiraled more until she could make a suit to be who she felt she should be. Obviously, times have changed since the film, hence why I am trying to be respectful and refer to the proper pronoun. YES, I know Buffalo Bill is a FICTIONAL character, but we are in an age where transgender people, real or fiction, deserve respect. Don't come for me for being respectful, or I will ruin your fucking life.

Textbook psycho wise, I feel the qualities are there, as I have already stated. People get desperate when backed into corners, as she was. And, no. Not all people backed into corners get violent and start creating meat suits. What I am saying is there was a point that pushed her over and a motive behind it. There is no question as to why. There is also no question on the how. The sewing background was from the first victim and the woman who originally owned the house the killer took over. The victims were sought out based on their size for sewing and skin stretch purposes. I can't say the film left me with any questions, brownie points there. Then again, it was also based on a book, meaning there isn't room to leave questions for the viewers.

Overall, the movie was unique. Not like anything I have seen before, even remotely. From a random FBI student being the main person sought out for assistance to the crimes and killer, and a very unique case of identity. The film made sense and was entertaining. Isn't that all we really ask for in a movie? I am sure you can dig some sentimental meaning out of it on your own. But for me, I got hard work pays off, and being who you are sometimes ends up going extremely out left field to get.

Comments

Popular Posts