Relic

If you want a suspenseful plot, with a lot of angering and annoying characters to raise your blood pressure, a puzzle of confusion, and a unique monster: this is the book for you!

The introduction sets the readers up to a glimpse of the insanity they are going to encounter on this 468-page journey. (Kindle version. The physical copy may be differently paged.) This plot takes us on one very confusing journey as we try and piece together what the hell is actually going on.

The characters we repeatedly encounter and follow are the most aggravating bunch. First, the curious Margo, who should really stop talking about how much she needs to focus on her dissertation and actually do it. Second, the highly ambitious and out of the water Smithback, who should have just taken his research and ran far away to write that book. Third, Pendergast, the estranged detective that knows it all and his plans seem to be the only ones that work. Fourth, Dr. Frock, well, he was actually kind of funny. The awkward D'Agosta, too low in the food chain with the desire to be too high in it. Lastly, Moriarty, the primary staff in charge of the Superstitions exhibit that keeps things secret (R.I.P.). I believe those are the main characters we consistently follow through our narrator. There is a whole cast of secondary characters that make your pressure rise to deadly levels: Coffey, Rickman, Cuthbert, Ippolito, and other various police and agents. I am not here to talk about the characters though, merely pointing out that if you have an issue with your blood pressure, these characters will make it much worse.

That being said, I mentioned that the plot is one giant puzzle. Here's why: readers are pulled in so many different directions as to what is the issue or where the monster came from. We get attached to one excellent idea then are slammed in the face with another and repeat. It went from a person with a weapon, a creature, a supernatural being linked to a statue, then finally back to a monster. So, what is the cause? The figure? Nope. The fire from the Amazon? Kind of. The tribe? Sure. A special plant? Yep. Read it. The idea is very unique, and the ending is an exciting twist that is not as far fetched as it may seem, although nothing in the book even hints what is really the cause until we are smacked at the end, but the hit isn't so bad.

The plot itself is full of suspense. Who is going to die next? Where is the creature now? Is it going to pop out? Is it hunting for sport, hunger, out of emotion? There are simple hints throughout the book that make the reader's head spin in all sorts of tension. Is the exhibit haunted? Why are the higher-ups hiding what they know? Why are they so pressed to get the exhibition open when they know something is wrong? There are a lot of things the characters move forward with that make you want to beat your skull with a Keurig, see the third part again for a quick run-down of the main character's and their personality flaws. (No. Not deficiencies in the writing, flaws in them as human beings. The writing is good.) I felt the amount of annoyance I felt with the characters added to the suspense of the plot because I knew nothing was out of the question with these wacky scientists and greedy staff. Also, each attack by the creature is written very well. There is plenty of imagery, tension, eerie tone, and flow.

As I said previously, the plot is also one giant confusing puzzle because so many different things are thrown at the reader. Once they get comfortable with one thing being it, the novel shoots another shot, and it is back to square one. Now, while my phrasing may sound like this is terrible read, I enjoyed this very much. I love when books take my brain on a ride. I can also say, this is the first novel that when I got to the middle, I had no idea how it was going to end. Props to both the authors behind this. In all my twenty-three years of life, I have never experienced a novel where I don't guess the ending right half-way through. The ending was even more satisfying because I love my fellow insane people. Kawakita, you are WILD. However, looking at the immediate squeal, you're not in it. Since the epilogue isn't capitalized on, I more than likely won't continue this series. How dare Preston and Child make me enjoy characters to the point when he doesn't appear in the immediate sequel, I refuse to read more even if the craft itself is done well. Now, there are apparently FIFTEEN books in this series, and with my love for reading, I can't promise I won't read on, but it is unlikely.

Finally, let's talk about this incredibly unique monster. The authors use the idea of a lost tribe with many secrets to build it up, and it works exceptionally well. There is something so grasping about mysterious groups of people that never gets old. Where did the Aztecs go, though? Someone, FIND THEM. Ahahaha. Anyway, the creature is just as exotic as the depths of the rain forest it came from. It walked on all fours but was also bipedal.  It had three sharp claws for hands (like talons), five-clawed feet, black hair (or feathers), blue scales, and an awful smell. It has speed, strength, and intelligence. Aside from looks, the fact it is as smart as a human is terrifying. OH. I just put the ending together with that. DAMN. How did I not think that through? Good one, Preston and Child, well-played. Overall, I think the whole idea and the creature were very unique and well done. A monster loose in a museum that has a very dark purpose in its creation that just spirals a bit out of control when it makes its way from the Amazon up to New York. It is even more unsettling that it went unnoticed for years and has a whole trophy room full of proof it had been there awhile.

Whittlesey, I am sorry about your forced fate, but also, smart creature. A brilliant creature moving and adapting in such a way.

Officially the last thing: why was the scene with Margo and Pendergast killing it so botched and run over? I felt like they were fighting it one second then the next we were back with Garcia, and they had killed it? Maybe I missed something. Anyone help there?

Comments

  1. The killing of the creature was SO DAMNED BOTCHED! you said it perfectly. Its the biggest issue I had with this book. I cannot comprehend why the two authors (two of them!) thought it was a good idea not to have the killing of the creature on the page, and how it was possible the editor didn't send it right back to them and tell them to add the thing they forgot. NO EXCUSE FOR THIS!

    Sorry for shouting, but when I read the second-hand account of it from Pendergast when he was telling the guards holed up in the security room, I was livid.

    And, you completely let me down with telling me that Kawakita isn't in the next book. Let me down in a good way... like, yeah, now I probably won't read it either. But I thought they had done an exceptional job at setting up the sequel, and now it sounds like they don't use that? I wasn't really a big fan of Kawakita in the book, but that epilogue made it a whole new ballgame, and I thought that was definitely going somewhere. I imagine they refer to the epilogue in whatever happens in the second book indirectly, but I was all up for Kawakita taking on a bigger role in this series as some kind of mastermind villain.

    I agree with you that the monster was execellent. And I was so intrigued with the odea of Kawakita selling addicts this plant, and possibly creating more of these monsters, all under his control in some way. But yeah, for a monster, this one kicked ass. I loved the way they always smelled it first. Once someone said something stunk, you knew the shit was about to hit the fan. So well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoe,

      We always seem to agree for the most part. I adored this monster. Glad I was not the only one pissed off about the monster killing.
      I had to cheat when looking further. There are fourteen books in this series and the epilogue is obviously not planned to be capitalized on in number two, so what was the point? If you wanted it later in the series, take the epilogue and MOVE IT OVER TO THERE (Patrick Star voice intensifies.

      The focus on smell was great. I feel like it is always an assumption some creature is going to smell, living dead, wolves, etc. So, I agree. A great quality to focus on and keep it throughout.

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed that you were able to list off the main characters in this book. There were way too many characters for me. I AM glad though that all of us hated Margo and her stupid dissertation.

    I liked the puzzle aspect to the plot. I found the variety of murder theories much more interesting than the variety of characters. The twist at the end got me. I loved that you mentioned you didn't easily guess the ending. I didn't either, and that really made the book for me because even though I knew it would be a monster because of our course, I never would have guessed that the monster was the guy from the first chapter of the book.
    I also didn't bother to lok up the rest of the series even though it was obviously set up for a sequel. Fifteen books??? Could be good, but given how I felt about the first half of this book, I probably will skip it and read the rest of the Dresden Files instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monster was fabulous in all aspects. The series? I think I am going to pass. Especially since whoever published the book seemingly allowed the botched death of such a fabulous creature. What a shame.

      Delete
  3. The abundance of major characters definitely allowed the authors to play with suspense. I think it worked well, but I do agree it pulls the reader everywhere. I remember thinking the monster was from the Illuminati because they believe in lizard people and the museum was opening a superstition wing. While I think it worked, it seems like, in hindsight, it was an easy way out of coming to a conclusion.
    I'd also like to mention the use of plot armor in this. Characters we want to see die, die. The ones we're geared to root for don't. Side characters all become fodder for the monster which allows for some grim fates. Moriarty is really the only big character we've no reason to hate that dies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts