Night of The Living Dead (1968)

Disclaimer: I have different standards when it comes to movies versus writing, so bear with this review.

We start off on this wild journey with Barbara and Johnnie, two siblings putting a memorial on their father's grave. Johnnie notes how annoying it is that they buy the same grave marker every year, and the following year, it is no longer there. Am I the only one that did not draw a connection here? Barb says something about it being the caretaker, but it seemed to hint at maybe their father was some sort of zombie. However, later in the film, it is noted the monsters are only reanimated recently deceased or unburied dead. So, I guess I wanted to make a connection that may not have even been there? Am I overthinking into the first few minutes?

Johnnie was a short-lived asshole, but I thought it was funny when he was teasing his sister and then boom, a random zombie just happens to be strolling by. Now, throughout the movie, the viewers develop a sense of mayhem and chaos, which is substantially achieved through the constant radio, and eventually TV, broadcasts. The characters were learning as they went, just as the viewers learned with them. The pandamonium the radio caused throughout the film worked marvelously. Through the radio, Ben, and the TV, we watched and developed an understanding of the zombies, they don't like light, eat flesh, and despise fire. So, circling this back to the beginning, why was mister zombie wandering in the graveyard during the day? I know there is implied overcast with the thunder and in the end, most of the zombies are taken down by the army/police in broad daylight, but why flash one of their weaknesses as light when they are perfectly fine with it?

There are a set of very unreliable characters here. Mr. and Mrs. Cooper hiding the fact their daughter was bitten until the end, granted they both get it from her, but still sketchy considering they acted like they knew nothing. Plus, Mr. Cooper is flakier than dandruff when it comes to what he is actually going to do (I promise it is always the thing you are yelling at him not to do that he does). Harry Cooper, I feel, is entirely delusional and his delusions are so far shoved somewhere that he couldn't get them out with laxatives. He is just the walking nightmare of poor and idiotic choices. The most priceless of them all: let's lock ourselves in the cellar with my kid that is turning into one of those things. Judy and her boyfriend, rational idiots. The popped like popcorn - who didn't see that coming when she ran out and screwed the plan for escaping up? Barbara's whole shock insanity got extremely old, very fast. She is irrational and not entirely there for the entire movie. Do something for the love of all humanity, woman! The kid? Who didn't guess she was bitten and going to be a problem later on the first time she appeared laid out on camera? If you didn't, sorry if that made you feel stupid.

Ben. He is the only likable character in this film. He is terrified but is the only one doing what he can about it. He thinks logically, except in the last scene. He is the backbone to the group until they all cluster fuck themselves. Ben held it together for me. I also cheered when he finally shot Harry after giving him so many passes. SPOILER: Ben gets it right between the eyes after being mistaken for a zombie in the end. Perfect ending. Everyone dies. (As much as I liked Ben, I like it better when they all die.)

Let's get into the slightly terrifying zombies in this film. Yes, it is 1968, so black and white. When I first turned it on, I knew my gore desire was not going to be satisfied because I want to see red, not black. However, the zombies in this film are rather intelligent. From the start, the one follows Barb all the way to the house. He runs at a pretty decent speed too. We also watch as the living dead pick up objects and use them to their advantage. These are not the moaning and groaning wanderers that most zombies are portrayed as. These zombies think and use some form of their radioactive brain to function. They flinch from fire, beat lights with rocks, break windows, and grab people. What they lack-lustered in looks (everything frightening), they made up for in ability. So, to touch briefly on their looks, they were clearly recently deceased based on the wear of the clothing most of them had. Many also only had crooked or drooped mouths/jaws, and a sluggish way of movement. Those were the two defining characteristics of what made them monsters. (I know in the end some had blood on them, but for the majority, they seemed reasonably concerned with their hygiene.) They were not fleshy, blood dripping, rotting creatures terrifying the viewers by their looks. They were, I guess, the higher end of zombies terrorizing with their ability. Another point here: why did the zombie kid stab her mother instead of eating her? Seems outlandish considering the mother walked in on the kid munching on one of her father's organs. There was so much hysteria and confusion here. Did the zombies want to eat or just cause bedlam by mass homicide? If the latter, there is some other deep form of intelligence being sparked, that I cannot tell is either horrifying or ridiculous.

In all honesty, I can't talk. You should see what I make my zombies do when I use them in writing. Overall, for the time, I'll give the movie a 7/10 for it being a classic horror. I wanted color because of blood, and some things I established were overdone, ridiculous, or confusing. But, yes. It is classic horror, and if you like zombie flicks, horror flicks even, it is always good to be familiar with the classics.

Comments

  1. Alexis,

    I am right there with you on Ben being the only likable character. I know you like everyone to die, but I think it would have been better for him to make it out alive. Being shot by another person by accident in a situation that could have easily been prevented was a big letdown for me. The zombies moved slowly. He was in the house. No reason they wouldn't have made sure he was a zombie before killing him. And on Ben's part, he heard them shooting outside. Zombies don't shoot. He knows the cavalry has come. So why isn't he yelling out to them? It was kill the last guy just for the sake of killing them all, and that doesn't do it for me.

    The portrayal of the zombies was so much better in this story though. I liked them better as traditional zombies than the I am Legend or World War Z zombies, so for that, this story gets a higher mark from me. The satellite returning from Venus was a bit of a letdown though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with I have to say, I wish Ben lived. I also agree that the zombies in this film were a lot more entertaining than the more traditional ones.

      Delete
  2. Get ready for me to disagree with a few things, which is okay because Scott loves when we have differing opinions.

    I didn't like the ending. I do like when everyone dies, but I thought the way Ben died was anticlimactic.

    ALSO unpopular opinion, even though Tom and Judy were an idiotic train wreck, I really did like them. I feel like they are the most relatable characters to how I would act in the situation: trying to keep the peace and worried about one another taking risks. However, I would not be an idiot and run out to the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, there is some part of me, very deep below, that has a hint of wish that Ben lived and didn't die the way he did.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, this is like the prototype for the vastly superior, DAWN OF THE DEAD. Its dream-like quality is what holds my attention though. The low production values,illogical logic and odd editing all kind of make it stranger like CARNIVAL OF SOULS. Also, good point about the recently dead, Alexis. My question is why are some of the zombies nude? Who gets buried in the nude?!

      Delete
    3. You know Sean, now I wonder. I am sure it is more common than we imagine.

      Delete
  3. I thought it was so interesting that the zombies seemed to have some form of intelligence in the film. I think it can be difficult to watch classics of the genre, since I have to remind myself that the elements that seem cheesy and overdone were actually completely radical when the movie first came out. Still, I did feel like the "rules" of the zombies hadn't been completely worked out. Like you said, sometimes they seemed to be averse to light, and sometimes they didn't. Sometimes they were able to run at full-speed to chase Barb or the car, and other times they just shuffled forward when they could have run (like when Ben was standing on the porch and they had the house surrounded—why didn't they just rush up and grab him?). Those were the moments that took me out of the film, since they made it feel like the zombies were tools being used to create the dramatic tension the filmmakers decided they wanted, rather than generating that tension organically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly didn't even think about how they're killing the zombies in the daylight when they were acting so sensitive to it. That's a really good point there. I think when I was watching the movie I was thinking more about the fact that it was a "firsts" kinda movie with a lower budget. 114k to make it and they made 250 times the budget in sales. I think the thing that you mentioned that also stood out for me was the little girl little girl stabbing her mother. The scene of her dark eyes is one of the most iconic pictures from that movie too. I also noted how the first zombie we see in the beginning runs, when the tv, radio, and Ben all say they move slow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts